With yellowing, cracking, compaction, inflammation, itching of the nail plate - clear signs of onychomycosis - many people are familiar with. This pathology is contagious and with a long course it causes a lot of complications, so you need to know how to cure the fungus of the toenails and hands as soon as possible. Therapy can be done at home, but only after consulting a specialist.
What is a fungus and what causes it
Before you understand how to quickly and cheaply cure toenail / fingernail fungus, you should familiarize yourself with its origin and find out what it is. The ailment is characterized by the defeat of the horny layer of the nails by various fungal infections. They can be infected at any age. It is known that around 20% of the population suffers from nail fungus and all are at risk of infection. Individuals should pay special attention to their health:
- have wounds on the nails and skin of the legs, corns, calluses, abrasions;
- with suppressed immunity;
- suffer from increased sweating of the feet due to the structure of the body or from chronic diseases;
- taking certain medicines, such as antibiotics;
- with diabetes mellitus and oncopathologies;
- fail to observe hygiene rules due to certain circumstances.
Infection often occurs in the family, when one of the family members suffers from onychomycosis and is not treated. At the same time, use ordinary towels, washcloths, soap, walk barefoot or with open shoes on the floor and rugs.
The likelihood of infection increases significantly when going to the beach, public sauna, toilet, swimming pool, shower. These places are characterized by high humidity and heat, a favorite place for pathogenic microbes. However, they live well even at low temperatures, even if they do not tolerate heat, dry air, an alkaline environment and saltiness.
The fight against toenail fungus should begin at its first manifestations. Otherwise it results:
- the spread of infection to the skin, neighboring nails, internal organs;
- complete destruction and loss of the nail plate;
- general weakening of the immune system;
- the transition of pathology into a chronic form, which is almost impossible to get rid of.
Ways to treat nail fungus
How to effectively treat toenail fungus, you can learn from reviews and information on the Internet. But for this it is necessary to know what kind of pathogen has attacked the body and to which drugs it reacts. In order not to waste time and money, it is better to consult a mycologist or dermatologist. It is he who will tell you how to treat nail fungus and fingernails and how to prevent reinfection.
First, the patient will be sent for an examination, then drugs will be prescribed, they will determine what solutions to treat problem areas, and immunomodulating agents will be recommended.
Onychomycosis requires complex treatment, which includes drugs for internal and external use, injections (in advanced cases), folk recipes.
The most effective treatment for toenail fungus, judging by the reviews, is the use of drugs. They are produced in the form of paints, sprays, drops, ointments, creams, solutions and are used according to the instructions.
With a not very advanced form of onychomycosis, the most effective drugs for toenail fungus are varnishes, reviews of which can be found on any thematic forum. They are available in the form of a solution with antifungal substances that protect the nail plate from infections and destroy fungal cells. The course of therapy with these drugs is quite long and is 6-12 months.
From sprays with antifungal properties, there are:
- Spray based on terbinafine hydrochloride. This is an effective antifungal remedy that is applied twice a day. The duration of the course is determined by the doctor;
- Non-toxic drug that destroys some forms of fungi.
- A tool that is sprayed on the problem areas of the body 2 times a day for a week.
If you wonder how to get rid of toenail fungus quickly, you can read the reviews of doctors and patients. Many of them mention antifungal drops. They do a great job with onychomycosis on the legs and arms. It is important to choose the right active ingredient that can destroy one or another type of fungus.
Ointments and creams
If a person does not know what helps with toenail fungus at home, he can opt for these dosage forms. Creams and ointments not only destroy the spores of the fungus, but also contribute to the restoration of the nail plate.
Antifungal ointment and cream is an effective cure for toenail fungus, which is confirmed by patient reviews. It is important to use the drug correctly, apply it regularly, without overdoing the dosage. Before using the healing composition, the nails must be steamed in a bath, cleaned of dead scales, which will allow the active ingredients to penetrate deep into the stratum corneum.
Important! The use of external preparations is advisable in the initial stages of onychomycosis. If several nails are involved in the pathological process, the matrix is affected, then the approach to therapy should be comprehensive.
When asked how to kill toenail fungus, experts recommend using pharmaceutical solutions, such as iodine. This is the best cure for toenail and hand nail fungus, which deserves good reviews from patients for its ease of use and availability. A 5% alcohol solution is applied to the dish twice a day, drop by drop. The rest of the nails are also treated for prevention, even if they are not damaged by the infection. With a strong burning sensation, the frequency of application is reduced to one time. The course of therapy is 20-30 days.
Means for oral administration
If external agents do not help enough, systemic oral preparations are used - tablets. They provide quick treatment for toenail fungus and prevent the spread of further infections.
Folk methods of treatment, recipes
Most patients do not want to see a doctor and seek alternative treatments, so the question of how to cure toenail and nail fungus at home is extremely important to them. Can be used at home:
- packs and lotions;
- homemade ointments;
- essential oils.
Folk methods of treating toenail fungus at home necessarily include baths with various compositions:
- In three liters of hot water add 1 large spoonful of propolis. Stir and lower the limbs into the liquid for 10 minutes. Then they clean the keratinized layer of the skin, cut and file the edges of the nails.
- A 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide (30 ml) is added to a liter of hot water. The legs are steamed for 15-20 minutes. The first positive result can be seen as early as 5-7 days after starting treatment. Peroxide is often used together with vinegar, mixed in equal proportions.
- One tablespoon of baking soda is dissolved in 2 liters of water. Dip your feet in the solution and fly for 20 minutes. After cleaning the keratinized layer, the nails are cut and filed. Then any fungicidal agent is applied.
If a person does not know the best way to treat toenail fungus, he can read patient reviews. Many of them managed to eradicate the infection thanks to lotions and compresses:
- 2 large spoons of vinegar are mixed with 2 large spoons of vodka. Add three egg whites or a generous spoonful of glycerin. In the resulting composition, moisten the gauze and apply for 15 minutes on a sore nail.
- One tablespoon of alcohol is diluted in a glass of water. A bandage is lowered into the resulting composition. The nail is wrapped with a liquid soaked bandage, wrapped with polyethylene on top and put on a clean sock.
There is another effective way to treat toenail and hand nail fungus, which is to use homemade ointments with fungicidal ingredients:
- One teaspoon of dimethylphthalate is mixed with one large spoonful of vegetable oil, two large spoons of table vinegar, one raw chicken egg. The finished composition is applied to the affected nail, wrap the leg with polyethylene and put on socks. Leave for half an hour.
- Mix 80 g of petroleum jelly, 12 g of salicylic acid, 6 g of lactic acid. The finished composition is immediately applied to the nails, wrapped with a film and wait 1-2 hours.
Essential oils for the treatment of fungi
The fight against toenail fungus at home is not complete without essential oils - natural antiseptics with antifungal properties. For therapy, an undiluted agent is used or, in case of high sensitivity to it, diluted with vegetable oil 1: 1:
- Tea tree oil. Steam the legs in a hot bath with the addition of 5 drops of an essential agent. After the skin and nails have dried, and the oil composition is dripped onto the damaged areas, rubbing lightly. The procedure is done twice a day, for two months.
- Celandine oil. This is a powerful folk remedy for toenail fungus. First, the feet are steamed in a soap and soda bath. After drying the skin with a cotton ball, apply the oil to the problem nails. The procedure is carried out every day for two months.
- Oregano oil. This is a powerful remedy, thanks to which you can effectively treat toenail fungus at home. Its active ingredient has a strong bactericidal property. Apply daily on the affected nails until complete recovery.
Treatment with lasers and other devices
How to treat a strong toenail fungus interests many people. When neither pills nor external agents help, the doctor suggests laser therapy. This method is considered to be one of the most effective methods. Under the influence of the beam, pathogens are instantly destroyed and healthy cells remain healthy and safe. In just four procedures, you can forget about your problem. In addition, it is recommended to drink a course of vitamins to strengthen the immune system and to use the tablets / ointments prescribed by the doctor.
Contraindications and restrictions
Any remedy for toenail fungus (popular and pharmacy) has its own contraindications and side effects. Therefore, before starting treatment, you need to consult a specialist and carefully read the instructions. This will relieve possible redness, swelling, itching, dry skin, and other allergic reactions.
Often contraindications to drugs mention the period of pregnancy, breastfeeding and childhood. In such cases, it is advisable to consult a doctor.
What to do if there is a fungal disease in the house
The main route of onychomycosis infection is the domestic one. Most often, people are infected at home, having been infected by a sick family member. To prevent this from happening, you must:
- separately wash the socks of the infected, pre-soaking in laundry soap;
- regularly disinfect the bathroom;
- wash floors with bleach;
- be sure to apply folk recipes for the treatment of toenail fungus and pay attention to personal hygiene;
- monthly change of insoles and slippers;
- separate the patient's things and towels from the general ones.
Prevention of fungal diseases
You can avoid mycosis infection by following these tips:
- do not touch the floor with your feet open in public places;
- use protective creams;
- regularly treat the inner surface of the shoe with antiseptic solutions and sprays;
- in the autumn-spring period, drink vitamin complexes;
- periodically use homemade recipes for toenail fungus or pharmaceutical preparations for prevention;
- do not use other people's personal items and do not give their own as gifts;
- treat the fungus in all family members;
- do a pedicure every 1-1, 5 months.
Reviews about the treatment of nail fungus
- I found that my grandmother had fungus on her thumb and little finger nails. I immediately began to think about how to smear my toenails from the fungus. I decided not to experiment, but to consult a dermatologist. She recommended taking potassium permanganate baths for a week, then treating the legs with vinegar, and then applying iodine. Within a month and a half of active treatment, the plaques smoothed out, acquired a healthy hue, and returned to their normal appearance.
- I am a nail lover. For a long time I have given my hands a neat appearance thanks to this method. One day my master fell ill and I was assigned to another woman. I don't know how she fixed her nails, but three months later, when I took them off, I was horrified: all the dishes were eaten by a fungus! I had to turn to a mycologist, who prescribed me not only a cream, but also tablets. After a two-month course of treatment, I decided to never use this service from unknown masters.
- I always use folk recipes for toenail fungus, because by the nature of my profession I have to stay in closed shoes for a long time. As soon as itching appears, I immediately take a bath, lubricate my nails with iodine, treat with peroxide and vinegar. Sometimes I buy pharmacy creams. They are also very useful.
How to really cure toenail fungus can only be told by a specialist in the field of laboratory diagnostics. Independent methods of therapy can be ineffective due to the resistance of the pathogen to a particular active substance. The sooner you seek medical attention, the sooner you will recover. After all, neglected forms of the fungus are much more difficult and expensive to get rid of than at the initial stage.